6 Dangerous Sunscreen Mistakes
With skin cancer on the rise, it’s more important than ever to get smart when it comes to sunscreen. Protect yourself by checking out these common mistakes that you may be making with your sunscreen.
01 – I DON’T NEED SUNSCREEN BECAUSE I NEED THE VITAMIN D
It’s true. Vitamin D is essential as it absorbs calcium and promotes bone growth. But you can get a sufficient amount of Vitamin D by spending only 10-15 minutes in the sun. It’s not worth foregoing sunscreen, as most people don’t apply enough to prevent the production of Vitamin D anyway.
02 – ONE APPLICATION LASTS AND ENTIRE DAY
One application in the morning isn’t going to last you throughout the entire day. If you are swimming, playing sports, or spending the day out in the sun, then your sunscreen should be reapplied approximately every two hours.
03 – I DONT NEED SUNSCREEN BECAUSE I HAVE DARK SKIN
While people with more pigment in their skin do have a lower risk of getting skin cancer, they are not completely immune. As a matter of fact, skin cancer can be even more dangerous for those with darker skin as it’s often diagnosed in the later stages.
04 – A BASE TAN PROTECTS ME
A tan is your body’s reaction to UV exposure. It’s a sign that damage has already been done, and this does not protect your skin from further damage.
05 – I ONLY NEED TO PROTECT MY FACE
Many people only apply sunscreen to their face in order to protect it from premature aging. While this is a good habit, the truth is that you can develop skin cancer anywhere the sun touches. Don’t forget your neck, hands, legs and feet not only for the sake of protecting your skin from cancer, but protecting those areas from premature aging as well.
06 – ILL BE INSIDE ALL DAY
While windows do block the more intense UV rays, it still allows enough rays to pass through to cause damage. You can easily swap your everyday moisturizer with the PREVENTION + Daily Hydrating Moisturizer that has an SPF of 30.
Fun in the sun beach bag essentials
- HAT – Keeping a hat in your bag is a cardinal rule when it comes to the subject of sun protection. It can protect your scalp and cut down on the rays that are hitting on your face and neck.
2. SUNGLASSES – When it comes to any outdoor trip, sunglasses are an obvious requirement. While protecting your eyes from the sun so you can safely explore those vacay horizons, they also provide sun protection for delicate eye area and prevent squinting…which can lead to wrinkles!
- LIP BALM – Keep your pout hydrated and beach-ready with our ORMEDIC balancing lip enhancement complex
- BEACH TOWEL – This handy item provides a safe haven to rest your rump and
it doubles as a cover-up if you feel like you having too much sun with your fun.
- FRUIT – Grapes, strawberries and oranges make perfect snacks for the beach. They’re refreshing, sweet and won’t make you feel too full or lethargic.
- PLENTY OF WATER – Don’t forget to pack the biggest bottle of water you can find. Staying hydrated on a hot day is important not only for your skin but also prevents dehydration.
- SUN PROTECTION – Tanned skin looks beautiful but how long does it last? Wrinkles, pigmentation and skin cancer are long term. Besides, you can always just use our BODY SPA face and body bronzer for a sunless, gorgeous bronzed glow.
Always remember to use an SPF 30 or above when enjoying time in the sun and don’t forget to reapply every two hours!