Self-care is essential for overall health and well-being, no matter what time of the year it is (but yes, especially during the Holidays). Finding time for self-care may require some advance planning and thought, but it’s worth it. Relax and rejuvenate at the best day spa in Sydney and you will reap the benefits.
These days it is more important than ever to find time in our busy lives for self-care.
Many women, mums especially, are pulled in so many directions because of work and family commitments. We can lose our sense of self in the craziness of life. Find out why and how you should put the well-being of your body and mind at the top of your to-do list.
What do we mean by self-care and why is it important?
Self-care means taking the time out of a hectic schedule to put yourself first. How many times have you felt you are only just keeping your head above water with all the chores, to-do lists, kids’ needs, work deadlines and much more? Especially during the holidays, it can feel impossible to step away or switch off from it all. But self-care is essential to our physical, emotional and mental well-being.
A study from 2015 showed that, among Australians, levels of well-being are decreasing and levels of anxiety are increasing. Not making the time to relax, find balance in your life and rejuvenate can lead to stress, anxiety and even depression.
There are many benefits to taking a breather and stepping out of the rat race for as little as half an hour or an hour a day. Regular self-care helps your health on a physical level by giving your body a chance to rest and repair. It also helps on a mental level by improving your mood, making you a calmer, happier person. This in turn boosts confidence and self-esteem.
Looking after yourself shows you value your needs, which helps those around you value them too. By setting the expectation in your family that self-care is a priority, you will also be modelling the right behaviour for your children and partner.
How to make time for self-care
You may decide that self-care for you means a whole day of pampering at the best day spa in Sydney, or just 20 minutes to go for a run. Either way, you’ll need to work out when and how to fit it into your busy life. Here are a few tips on making time for self-care:
- Where possible, schedule your me-time into your calendar. You’re much more likely to do it if it’s already planned into your day or week.
- Parents – if you have small children, why not arrange to swap babysitting time with friends or with family members? Book that massage or facial and make it a regular appointment.
- Look to your partner to support you. That might mean making a time when they do something special with the kids so you can have time to pamper yourself. Or just one night a week when you don’t have to do dinner and bedtime. They may not get it perfect but they will manage!
- Give yourself a break from all distractions and interruptions. Put your phone and laptop in a drawer so you are not tempted to ‘just quickly do this’ or ‘just take this one call’.
Top suggestions for self-care
Once you’ve organised your timetable to include time for yourself, it’s time to think about what you can do. Self-care is a very personal thing. For some, it means energising the body and clearing the mind through a vigorous sport or a physical challenge. For others, it can mean finding a quiet space and activity to unwind the mind, soothe the body and lift the mood.
Here are some great ways to look after yourself, de-stress and revive your mind, body and soul:
- Take a book to a corner of a cafe and enjoy some quiet time alone
- Go for a bike ride or jog around the local park
- Book a facial, massage, body scrub or pedicure and manicure at your local Sydney day spa
- If you’re getting your treatment at the Temple Skincare & Spa, why not treat yourself to a special night at The Hills Lodge hotel and book to stay overnight?
- Book an aromatherapy treatment to nourish your skin and ease muscle tension
- Find a calm, quiet place at home or in nature to meditate
- Take a long hot bath with essential oils and a relaxing music playlist
There’s no time like the present. Contact us at the Temple Skincare & Spa and we will be happy to find the perfect relaxation treatment to help you get started on your self-care journey.